Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Sow Good 09.09.07

Mark 4:1 And again He began to teach by the sea. And a great multitude was gathered to Him, so that He got into a boat and sat in it on the sea; and the whole multitude was on the land facing the sea. 2 Then He taught them many things by parables, and said to them in His teaching: 3 "Listen! Behold, a sower went out to sow.

When you think of the works of Christ – what comes to mind?

“Absolutely,” you might say, “I think of His work on the cross.” Of course that would be THE work of primary importance to each of us. But how would He model that work – and what would exemplify that work that we might see our part in it?

Sowing seed. Sowing good seed. Sowing perfect seed. That’s what Jesus was doing on the cross.

There is nothing we can ever do to even approach the level of thankfulness Jesus richly deserves from each one of us for His work on the cross. Jesus saved us from eternal damnation. There is a better life inherent in that – but being saved from eternal death and the certain agonies of hell is more than enough for me. If I get a better life during my days remaining on earth - so be it - but that is not my primary focus. My primary focus is on the hope of eternal life in heaven by the grace of Christ alone!

Which is why I like to keep some seed in my hand, so to speak. Jesus laid out how all this is to work. The sower is Jesus. The seed is the Word of God.

Oh yeah, it may be my physical hand, or my physical mouth casting the seed, but the sower is Christ. Those who are taken up by Christ can think of nothing they would rather do than be with Christ and to serve Christ. Being joined to His work on the cross through the presence of the Holy Spirit is how that occurs. Grab onto a handful of this!

I receive His love for people when I cast seed in their direction. I receive His blessing when that seed sprouts, and begins to grow. I receive His reward when I meet that person in heaven.

It is such an awesome and wonderful process Jesus allows us to participate in, and yet we sometimes think it difficult, embarrassing, even trying to our circumstances. (What will people think?) “What will Jesus think?” is the question that needs to be asked.

We also tend to think we’ve got to be perfect in how we cast the seed. But Jesus made it plain the seed was to be cast wherever we go. On the hard-packed ground not likely to receive it, the shallow soil not likely to prove fertile, and even to the thorn bushes, that some seed may possibly grow in the midst of the cares of the world which may choke it and make it unfruitful. Every so often, the seed we sow of good penetrates the heart, and a wonder of wonders occurs before our very eyes…and it is sow good to see!

- Pastor Bill

No comments: