Thursday, February 14, 2008

Trying to Quit?

Romans 7:14 For we know that the law is spiritual, but I am carnal, sold under sin. 15 For what I am doing, I do not understand. For what I will to do, that I do not practice; but what I hate, that I do. 16 If, then, I do what I will not to do, I agree with the law that it is good. 17 But now, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells in me. 18 For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh) nothing good dwells; for to will is present with me, but how to perform what is good I do not find.

How many times have you tried to quit?

“Quit what?” you may answer. Well…just about anything. There are just some things in every life which seem to be the nemesis of our existence. Cigarettes, alcohol, sex, drugs, rock & roll…You know the list. You know the lust.

But there are many more. When we look inside our heart as God sees it, we see millions more.

Matt 5:21 "You have heard that it was said to those of old, 'You shall not murder, and whoever murders will be in danger of the judgment.' 22 But I say to you that whoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment. And whoever says to his brother, 'Raca!' shall be in danger of the council. But whoever says, 'You fool!' shall be in danger of hell fire.

Matt 5:27 "You have heard that it was said to those of old, 'You shall not commit adultery.' 28 But I say to you that whoever looks at a woman to lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart.

According to the Spiritual Law, (the law that KNOWS the attitude and desires of the heart,) I am – we ALL are – guilty of far more than we could ever hope to even begin to confess. But we also KNOW the blood of Jesus washes away the sin of every man. And when we apply the blood of Christ, ALL sins, past present and future are forgiven – and in Jesus’ power, we are no longer slaves to sin but slaves to righteousness.

At times, when we still have a wrong heart attitude, or a wrong action, we wonder where it comes from? We are no longer slaves to sin, but we have been set free to sin. In other words, NOW we have a choice…one made in freedom – will we continue to choose Christ? Not just in a moment of conversion – but as a way of life.

Romans 7:20 Now if I do what I will not to do, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells in me. …24 O wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death? 25 I thank God--through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, with the mind I myself serve the law of God, but with the flesh the law of sin. Choose Christ, for life. Choose to be a slave of righteousness. Quit it by His power.

- Pastor Bill

No comments: