Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Bragged On

Zech 9:12 Return to the stronghold, You prisoners of hope. Even today I declare That I will restore double to you. 13 For I have bent Judah, My bow, Fitted the bow with Ephraim, And raised up your sons, O Zion, Against your sons, O Greece, And made you like the sword of a mighty man." 14 Then the Lord will be seen over them, And His arrow will go forth like lightning. The Lord God will blow the trumpet, And go with whirlwinds from the south. 15 The Lord of hosts will defend them; They shall devour and subdue with slingstones. They shall drink and roar as if with wine; They shall be filled with blood like basins, Like the corners of the altar. 16 The Lord their God will save them in that day, As the flock of His people. For they shall be like the jewels of a crown, Lifted like a banner over His land-- 17 For how great is its* goodness And how great its beauty! Grain shall make the young men thrive, And new wine the young women.

Mal 3:17 "They shall be Mine," says the Lord of hosts, "On the day that I make them My jewels. And I will spare them As a man spares his own son who serves him." 18 Then you shall again discern Between the righteous and the wicked, Between one who serves God And one who does not serve Him.

If you had the blessing of growing up as I did, (with a loving mom and dad,) then you know the blessing of being “bragged on.” There is hardly anything better than to hear your mother or father telling someone else of something you have accomplished, and how they are proud of you. Now, as a father, I understand what that is like from the other side. How wonderful it is to be able to “brag on” my son for something he has done. Because I love bragging on my son so much, I watch him very carefully for any possible reason my chest may be filled with the joy of something brag-worthy that I can share with others.

Toward the end of the Old Testament, God looks out prophetically to a time when His people will be “His jewels.” Think about what that means for a moment. In both Zechariah and Malachi, (the last two books in the Old Testament,) the Lord proclaims His people will be made into something extraordinary – even made as jewels.

What will make God’s people God’s jewels? According to His Word, it is because they have finally learned to discern between the righteous and the wicked. In learning THIS discernment, the Lord declares He will MAKE those who have learned this lesson His jewels.

We may wonder exactly what is meant by this - but why not accept the plain meaning? He is making us into something He proclaims to be worthy of examination, something worthy of being handled, something worthy of being placed in the light so all the facets may shine forth brightly for all to see and value. It sure sounds all like those who learn God’s discernment will one day make God brag. I’m guessing He can’t wait!

- Pastor Bill

No comments: