Wednesday, June 17, 2009

The Father’s Son

Romans 1:1 Paul, a bondservant of Jesus Christ, called to be an apostle, separated to the gospel of God 2 which He promised before through His prophets in the Holy Scriptures, 3 concerning His Son Jesus Christ our Lord, who was born of the seed of David according to the flesh, 4 and declared to be the Son of God with power according to the Spirit of holiness, by the resurrection from the dead. 5 Through Him we have received grace and apostleship for obedience to the faith among all nations for His name, 6 among whom you also are the called of Jesus Christ; 7 To all who are in Rome, beloved of God, called to be saints: Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.

In order to have Father’s Day you have to have sons and daughters. There are always certain identifying factors when we talk about sons and daughters, be they genetic, (physical,) moral, (behavioral,) or inclination, (spiritual.) These identifying factors tie the sons and daughters to the father, making their relationship apparent.

Have you ever seen two grown men who look physically almost identical, save for their years? And, every now and then you see fathers with their very young sons following after them, with the same walk, the same sort of bearing, the same hair color, and so on. The family resemblance is unmistakable, the boy looking for all-the-world like a scale-model of the father.

This was what Paul was speaking of so often in the Book of Romans, and especially in his introductory paragraph. He was saying to the Romans, “You’ve never seen me - but here’s what I look like: I look just like my Father.”

It strikes me one of the greatest honors we can do for our fathers is to look like them. I’m not talking physically so much as representationally. I am grateful to my son when he represents me well, and when his behavior is mature and a blessing to all who come in contact with him. I am blessed when people look at my son and say, “You can see his father in him.”

Sons learn resemblance of their fathers by close observation.

John 5:19 Then Jesus answered and said to them, "Most assuredly, I say to you, the Son can do nothing of Himself, but what He sees the Father do; for whatever He does, the Son also does in like manner.

Again, this is what Paul is telling the Romans about himself, by way of introduction. “We’ve never met, but you know my Father so well, it is as if you know me too.” Paul writes, “I am a bondservant, called, and separated to such a great extent to the Gospel of Jesus Christ it is as if I no longer exist. I only live for and through my Father, who is in heaven.” In this he makes his Father’s day!

- Pastor Bill

No comments: