Wednesday, August 19, 2009

The ‘A’ List

Rom 16:1 I commend to you Phoebe our sister, who is a servant of the church in Cenchrea, 2 that you may receive her in the Lord in a manner worthy of the saints, and assist her in whatever business she has need of you; for indeed she has been a helper of many and of myself also. 3 Greet Priscilla and Aquila, my fellow workers in Christ Jesus, 4 who risked their own necks for my life, to whom not only I give thanks, but also all the churches of the Gentiles.5 Likewise greet the church that is in their house. Greet my beloved Epaenetus, who is the firstfruits of Achaia to Christ. 6 Greet Mary, who labored much for us. 7 Greet Andronicus and Junia, my countrymen and my fellow prisoners, who are of note among the apostles, who also were in Christ before me. 8 Greet Amplias, my beloved in the Lord. 9 Greet Urbanus, our fellow worker in Christ, and Stachys, my beloved. 10 Greet Apelles, approved in Christ. Greet those who are of the household of Aristobulus. 11 Greet Herodion, my countryman. Greet those who are of the household of Narcissus who are in the Lord.12 Greet Tryphena and Tryphosa, who have labored in the Lord. Greet the beloved Persis, who labored much in the Lord. 13 Greet Rufus, chosen in the Lord, and his mother and mine. 14 Greet Asyncritus, Phlegon, Hermas, Patrobas, Hermes, and the brethren who are with them. 15 Greet Philologus and Julia, Nereus and his sister, and Olympas, and all the saints who are with them. 16 Greet one another with a holy kiss. The churches of Christ greet you.

When we come to one of these lists of names contained in the Bible, the tendency is to skip over them and move on the ‘the next meaty passage.’ (Especially when the list of names comes at the very end of a book, as this list of names appears here in Romans 16. Why not simply move on to 1st Corinthians, and not waste the time to read the list of foreign-sounding names? After all, I can’t even pronounce most of them, and I certainly have no clue what this list has to do with me.

But when I remember the inspiration of God in the authorship of scripture, (ALL scripture is God-breathed – see 2 Tim 3:16,) I begin to think, “Hey, maybe there is something for me – even here.”

One of the things I realize is how important these names must be to God, that they would be listed in the first place. Then I realize why…knowing God must have a real fondness for those who are building His church. And then I think, “Wow, I wonder if there are similar lists of names being compiled in Heaven right now – just as back then.”

Could it be God is so fond of those building His church that He tracks not only their names but their needs and their heart desires? Could it be God makes Himself intimate with those who are endeavoring to inspire those around themselves to be part of something great – that being the kingdom of God here on earth?

I believe what I learn from this humble list of names is how much God cares about me, and about you. He knows my name, and my frame, and He is intimately invested in this church – because it is His church, and we are His people.

- Pastor Bill

No comments: