Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Incomparable God

Job 9:1 Then Job answered and said: 2 "Truly I know it is so, But how can a man be righteous before God? 3 If one wished to contend with Him, He could not answer Him one time out of a thousand. 4 God is wise in heart and mighty in strength. Who has hardened himself against Him and prospered? 5 He removes the mountains, and they do not know When He overturns them in His anger; 6 He shakes the earth out of its place, And its pillars tremble; 7 He commands the sun, and it does not rise; He seals off the stars; 8 He alone spreads out the heavens, And treads on the waves of the sea; 9 He made the Bear, Orion, and the Pleiades, And the chambers of the south; 10 He does great things past finding out, Yes, wonders without number. 11 If He goes by me, I do not see Him; If He moves past, I do not perceive Him; 12 If He takes away, who can hinder Him? Who can say to Him, 'What are You doing?'

One of the great lessons we learn from the book of Job is the incomparable nature of God. Who can He be compared to? Who can understand Him? Who can approach His power? Who can fully perceive His wisdom? Who can approach His holiness?

Most people in the history of the world have been left unsatisfied by these questions. But, in reality, who truly knows himself or herself, and understands their own inner workings? (A strange question to ponder, no doubt.) The truth is there is a whole lot about me I know nothing about.

I have no idea how my eyeballs work, or my hearing, touch, smell, you name it. No idea. I have no idea what it is that prompts me to breathe. I don’t even think about breathing. It just happens. How can I walk without looking down? Where does balance come from? Why do I love those I love?

It seems to me since so much of my own make-up is such a mystery, (and there is MUCH more to be said about this,) that the Lord God Almighty being a mystery should come as no surprise.

And yet, the vast majority of people worship a god of their own making simply because a god of their own making is a god they can see, touch, and understand. This is the product of all of the world’s great religions: a god the people can understand – even if they cannot know the god they have created. (After all, you cannot know a fictitious anything - let alone a fictitious god.)

By contrast, the God of the Bible, the God of all Creation, is a God we cannot begin to understand – but is a God we CAN know - because He IS real, and because He seeks relationship with man. How blessed we are to serve a God we can know even if we serve a God we cannot understand - a God Who is beyond understanding. Better yet is the benevolence of the God we serve. Since He has allowed us to know Him, He has revealed Himself to be a loving God. What could be better than that, ESPECIALLY in a time of trial?

- Pastor Bill

No comments: