Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Fairest Lord Jesus

Psalm 45:2 You are fairer than the sons of men; Grace is poured upon Your lips; Therefore God has blessed You forever. 3 Gird Your sword upon Your thigh, O Mighty One, With Your glory and Your majesty. 4 And in Your majesty ride prosperously because of truth, humility, and righteousness; And Your right hand shall teach You awesome things. 5 Your arrows are sharp in the heart of the King's enemies; The peoples fall under You. 6 Your throne, O God, is forever and ever; A scepter of righteousness is the scepter of Your kingdom. 7 You love righteousness and hate wickedness; Therefore God, Your God, has anointed You With the oil of gladness more than Your companions. 8 All Your garments are scented with myrrh and aloes and cassia, Out of the ivory palaces, by which they have made You glad.

Among the descriptions of Jesus found in God’s Word, the most romantic, (with the exception of the allegorical presentation found in Song of Solomon,) is found right here in Psalm 45.

This is the “passport photo” of the Messiah, so He may be recognized upon entrance to the nation – and upon entrance to the heart. Setting the nation aside for the moment, (and what took place as Jesus appeared in Israel,) the more important point of entry IS the heart.

It is all well and good to recognize and identify the historical Person of Christ. I was in that position for (basically) all of my life – even prior to being saved. That the nation of Israel failed to recognize Christ did not really affect my own belief in the historical Christ, as I was raised in a church which taught that Jesus was real. He was truly the Son of God, and He truly came to earth.

In conversation with friends in the workplace or wherever, I was confident to speak up and say that, “I believed in God,” or that, “I believed in Jesus.” I really did. (I think.)

But it had no affect on my life. It was an external belief that was sort of an abstract impression. I was concerned about my eternal destination – but I never really did anything about it. I was concerned about taking the Lord’s name in vain – but not enough to keep from doing it.

It’s a funny thing how we keep ourselves at arms length from eternity. Belief in a historical Jesus will not get you there. The truth is, Satan believes in the historical Jesus. But there’s something more the LORD desires we grasp, and that is belief in Christ to the extent we receive Him in our hearts. For that to happen something romantic has to take place…A romance which causes us to totally let go of ourselves…the abandonment of love everlasting. Look at this photo of Christ and receive Him in your heart. You’ll always be glad you did.

 -  Pastor Bill

No comments: