Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Nearer to God

Psalm 92:12 The righteous shall flourish like a palm tree, He shall grow like a cedar in Lebanon. 13 Those who are planted in the house of the Lord Shall flourish in the courts of our God. 14 They shall still bear fruit in old age; They shall be fresh and flourishing, 15 To declare that the Lord is upright; He is my rock, and there is no unrighteousness in Him.

Every now and then, when strolling through someone’s garden, I have seen a little metal sign poked in the ground which read, “You are never nearer to God than when you are in the garden.”

My grandmother had one of those signs.

Of course, the intent is to have you recognize the joy of gardening, and the experience we have when we are surrounded by the beauty of His creation, especially as we are working alongside to promote the growth and beauty of the plants.

God planted His first two people in His garden, and very much the way we presently share with God in the raising of plants, the Lord instructed Adam to “tend and keep it.” (Gen 2:15.)

Very much like church, I think.

“Those who are planted in the house of the Lord shall flourish in the courts of God.” This is not to say there is no other way to flourish in the courts of God than to be planted in the house of God – but what it IS saying is being planted in the house of God is a guarantee.

I like the idea of heaven, don’t you? The whole concept of it, the closeness to God, the beauty, the joy, the eternal nature of it, the peace, the love, the lack of sickness, the end of death. I’m just a huge fan of the whole idea God presents us with. All free to me.

Not to sound casual about it, but hell doesn’t come close. In fact, the contrast between heaven and hell is as sharp and pointed as any contrast known to man…And yet, man looks the other way and disregards the eternal nature of all that lies beyond physical death.

Not me. When I see the Lord offering a guarantee about flourishing in His courts, I’m going to take it. If that guarantee states I must be planted in His house, than that is exactly where you will find me. Front and center. Every chance I get. The way I read it, there is no better place for me to be – ever.

-  Pastor Bill

No comments: