Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Understanding

Psalm 119:105Your word is a lamp to my feet And a light to my path. 106 I have sworn and confirmed That I will keep Your righteous judgments. 107 I am afflicted very much; Revive me, O Lord, according to Your word. 108 Accept, I pray, the freewill offerings of my mouth, O Lord, And teach me Your judgments. 109 My life is continually in my hand, Yet I do not forget Your law. 110 The wicked have laid a snare for me, Yet I have not strayed from Your precepts. 111 Your testimonies I have taken as a heritage forever, For they are the rejoicing of my heart. 112 I have inclined my heart to perform Your statutes Forever, to the very end.

According to what God’s Word declares about itself, not only does the Word of God bring light, it also drives out darkness.

If you think of wisdom being represented by ‘light,’ (and it often is – even in worldly philosophy,) than what does darkness represent? And what is the importance of being ‘in the light?’

Of course if you were to think of the last time you awoke in the middle of the night and got up to get a drink of water, than you know that feeling of kind of stumbling your way along, not being able to see, and holding your hands out in front of you to feel for obstacles, walls, and doorways. Make a mistake and pain is involved.

Now, this takes place in an environment you are very familiar with. In reality, it is kind of amazing how well we can navigate in our own homes without light. We can anticipate where we are going because we remember the layout. We know about how far it is to the bathroom, and we know where the hallway begins and ends even if we can’t see them. In fact, about the only thing likely to really throw us off is if there is something unanticipated in our path, like a toy left out or something. Maybe a shoe left behind.

If you’ve ever stepped on something you didn’t know was there, than you know what I’m talking about. Even while gently feeling your way along, when you step on something unexpected it can totally throw you off.

But that’s in a familiar environment. Imagine trying to find your way along in complete darkness. That’s what the Word of God is designed for. Simply put: there is no way to navigate this world successfully apart from the Word of God, and the reason is because the world exists in total spiritual darkness and the ONLY source of Light that exists in this world is the Word of God.

Many people think there are many sources of light when there is only one. There is only one lamp to our feet. There is only one light for our path. All else is darkness by degree.

-  Pastor Bill

No comments: