Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Never You Mind

Philippians 4:10 But I rejoiced in the Lord greatly that now at last your care for me has flourished again; though you surely did care, but you lacked opportunity. 11 Not that I speak in regard to need, for I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content: 12 I know how to be abased, and I know how to abound. Everywhere and in all things I have learned both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need. 13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Considering where you are right now, what would you have to say about yourself?

Considering where you will be in the future, what would you have to say about yourself?

If your answer about your future is that it rests in the kingdom of Heaven, where you are right now doesn’t matter much, and it won’t matter for long.

There is a lot that can have a negative affect on who, what, and where we are right now. Our attitude can be greatly affected by our present state and ALL the things we have to be concerned with and to worry about. What will the president do? What will the congress do? What will happen in the Middle East? What will my boss say? How will my health be affected? Where is next month’s house payment going to come from? Does my hair look funny?

The potential for worry is immeasurable. The reason to worry is real. There are so many things in our lives which greatly affect our lives which we have NO control over. And then, at the end of all of that worry is death.

Paul speaks of the ultimate peace and fulfillment which rests beyond the grave, and how it affects his present state of affairs. It is why he can say with such confidence (and encouragement,) that in whatever state he is in, he has learned to be content. Whether he is in Florida or New York, or Pennsylvania or Michigan, Paul says it does not matter – and the reason is because he is glory bound.

Once you are glory bound, you simply traverse from glory to a greater glory – even while here on this earth. God will inhabit your poverty with the riches of His glory and fellowship. God will inhabit your great wealth with the glorious humility of His lowliness. God IS content with Who He is, and as He is content WITH me, I can also be content WITH God, and with God alive in me, no matter where I am. His contentment is enough for me. In fact, it is more than enough.

The struggle lasts only as far as our determination to prevent His place and His peace. Once we let go and let Jesus rule, rest and contentment will always and forever follow.

-  Pastor Bill

No comments: