Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Life as a Thank You Note

1 Thessalonians 5:12 And we urge you, brethren, to recognize those who labor among you, and are over you in the Lord and admonish you, 13 and to esteem them very highly in love for their work's sake. Be at peace among yourselves. 14 Now we exhort you, brethren, warn those who are unruly, comfort the fainthearted, uphold the weak, be patient with all. 15 See that no one renders evil for evil to anyone, but always pursue what is good both for yourselves and for all. 16 Rejoice always, 17 pray without ceasing, 18 in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. 19 Do not quench the Spirit. 20 Do not despise prophecies. 21 Test all things; hold fast what is good. 22 Abstain from every form of evil. 23 Now may the God of peace Himself sanctify you completely; and may your whole spirit, soul, and body be preserved blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. 24 He who calls you is faithful, who also will do it. 25 Brethren, pray for us. 26 Greet all the brethren with a holy kiss. 27 I charge you by the Lord that this epistle be read to all the holy brethren. 28 The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you. Amen.

The question is asked often enough: “What do you want to be when you grow up?”

The implication is ambition and maturity, responsibility and control. These are the known parts of our lives we have some control over.

How will I educate myself to be what I want to be? What conduct do I wish for my life? What will I do about it? Who will I choose to follow to get where I want to be? What will the outcome of that resemblance be?

Paul is advocating much thought and activity in all of these areas. One of his chief aims is who and what we will be when we grow up. (This is the concern of any loving father.)

To the church Paul advocates tender care for both the head and the body - and then careful attention to the part we play within the body. When all of these things are in place, the body grows up into maturity and strength without deformity.

Much of this has to do with letting go of things we cannot control, while taking much concern for the things we can.

And it has everything to do with what I want to be when I grow up – because the direction I am headed determines my present conduct - and conduct is very important for the Christian life. In fact, we will be defined by our conduct. Jesus said, “If you love Me, keep my commandments.” Paul is saying the same thing. “Rejoice always. Give thanks in all things. Test all things. Avoid even the appearance of evil. Do not quench the Spirit of the Living God.” It truly comes down to making our very life a ‘thank-you note’ to God.

-  Pastor Bill

No comments: