Tuesday, May 31, 2011

A Grand Testimony

1 Timothy 1:12 And I thank Christ Jesus our Lord who has enabled me, because He counted me faithful, putting me into the ministry, 13 although I was formerly a blasphemer, a persecutor, and an insolent man; but I obtained mercy because I did it ignorantly in unbelief. 14 And the grace of our Lord was exceedingly abundant, with faith and love which are in Christ Jesus. 15 This is a faithful saying and worthy of all acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am chief. 16 However, for this reason I obtained mercy, that in me first Jesus Christ might show all longsuffering, as a pattern to those who are going to believe on Him for everlasting life. 17 Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, to God who alone is wise, be honor and glory forever and ever. Amen. 18 This charge I commit to you, son Timothy, according to the prophecies previously made concerning you, that by them you may wage the good warfare, 19 having faith and a good conscience, which some having rejected, concerning the faith have suffered shipwreck, 20 of whom are Hymenaeus and Alexander, whom I delivered to Satan that they may learn not to blaspheme.

When it comes to testimonials, this is one of the best. Of course, one of the strengths of Paul’s ministry life was his ability to succinctly share what the Lord has done for him.

One of the weaknesses of some of the testimonials I have heard in my life is that the person sharing speaks more about what they have done for God rather than of what God has done for them.

Paul has it right. He had it wrong - but now he has it right. A Damascus Road experience will do that for anyone. And see, it lasts a lifetime, and it helps others into new life of their own.

The main point is the Lord Jesus has done it all. We should never forget that part of our own testimonies. There is nothing you have to offer, except of course your giant heaping pile of sin. It is really quite a trade if you think of it. We give Jesus all the sin we have ever committed, and He gives us eternal life and fellowship with Him. How then can we take any pride whatsoever in our decision to simply receive what He offers us in trade?

But let us not lose heart! The main thing Paul is saying is the main thing any of us might say, and that is, “In spite of everything I have done - and it is worse than anything you could possibly imagine - Jesus has not only received me, he has placed me in ministry!” The excitement of that thought pattern is beyond comprehension. If God can and will use “the chief of sinners,” how will He use you and me if we only allow Him to?

-  Pastor Bill

No comments: