Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Carry It Forward


2 Tim 2:1 You therefore, my son, be strong in the grace that is in Christ Jesus. 2 And the things that you have heard from me among many witnesses, commit these to faithful men who will be able to teach others also. 3 You therefore must endure hardship as a good soldier of Jesus Christ. 4 No one engaged in warfare entangles himself with the affairs of this life, that he may please him who enlisted him as a soldier. 5 And also if anyone competes in athletics, he is not crowned unless he competes according to the rules. 6 The hard-working farmer must be first to partake of the crops. 7 Consider what I say, and may the Lord give you understanding in all things. 8 Remember that Jesus Christ, of the seed of David, was raised from the dead according to my gospel, 9 for which I suffer trouble as an evildoer, even to the point of chains; but the word of God is not chained. 10 Therefore I endure all things for the sake of the elect, that they also may obtain the salvation which is in Christ Jesus with eternal glory.

It has been well-said that Biblical Christianity is one generation away from completely disappearing. It has always been this way.

The world is passing away, its inhabitants are dying, and there is one thin line standing between humanity and eternal life in hell.

This is the calling of the generation of Christians alive on the earth right now. Unless we carry the Gospel forward, it will die out completely from the face of the earth. That is an amazing responsibility.

It is also a wonderful opportunity – especially since we know it is Jesus Who has entrusted us with this amazing work!

The question is: How are we doing? Is the Gospel of Jesus Christ being carried forward in this world? How is the church doing? How is the family doing? How are you doing?

If you were left as the ONLY one upon whom the entire future of the Gospel of Jesus depended – what would that look like? Would the Gospel be carried forward?

This may sound awesome and terrifying, but in a sense, it is true. How the Gospel is carried forward DOES depend upon me, (and Christ alive in me of course - as He is the One accomplishing the work.)

For the Gospel to be carried forward in my family, I am chiefly responsible. For the Gospel to be carried forward with my classmates, I am chiefly responsible. For the Gospel to be carried forward in my workplace, I am chiefly responsible. I am that thin line between those I have relationship with and eternity

Isn’t it both amazing and wonderful that with all the resources and power available to Jesus, He has specifically chosen me for this work? Paul says, “Remember Jesus died for you and has been raised from the dead.” This memory will propel you always.

-  Pastor Bill

No comments: