Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Only You Know and He Knows


Heb 4:12 For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart. 13 And there is no creature hidden from His sight, but all things are naked and open to the eyes of Him to whom we must give account.

If we were to carefully examine ourselves we might be surprised by what we would find. (Especially if we were left with nothing but self-interest to examine ourselves by.)

There are so many things I cannot know about myself. I can’t see the back of my head, and I never would without the aid of a mirror. Can it be possible my soul has blind spots as well?

That would be a, “Yes!” Again, imagine if the only perspective of self-examination was self-interest. Where would that leave us? There are so many things we cannot see about ourselves, (blind spots,) and the things we can see that we don’t like can be covered up. (Camouflaged.)

The problem with the effectiveness of camouflage, (and it does work,) is that in deceiving others about our weaknesses we also deceive ourselves. Take our eternal condition for example. It is VERY easy to look the part of a Christian. Go to church. Smile. Carry a Bible. Call yourself one. Done.

The worst part is by doing those things I may even convince myself I am a Christian. Millions upon millions of people are in that exact position. Look the part. Be the part. I am the part.

The Word of God teaches otherwise. In 2 Corinthians 13, Paul writes in verse 5: Examine yourselves as to whether you are in the faith. Test yourselves. Do you not know yourselves, that Jesus Christ is in you?--unless indeed you are disqualified.

But here’s the deal – what am I to use to examine myself by? (Knowing my blind spots, self-interest and extensive knowledge of camo.)

Answer: The Word of God is the ONLY impartial tool of examination known to man. Note: ALL other religious treatises deal with the actions of the flesh. ONLY God’s Word deals with the attitudes of the heart. You know…the part way down inside that cannot be seen by anyone…the part we may even hide from ourselves for as long as we choose…

When Jesus taught me to love my enemies, I knew I was guilty as sin. Here I was thinking I was a pretty good person, and along comes The Word slicing me open and showing me my heart in a way I had never seen before – or even desired to. The blessing is with the revelation of Truth comes the application of forgiveness and salvation. Unless you would rather not look. The choice is yours.

-  Pastor Bill

No comments: