Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Homecoming

Revelation 3:7 "And to the angel of the church in Philadelphia write,'These things says He who is holy, He who is true, "He who has the key of David, He who opens and no one shuts, and shuts and no one opens": 8 I know your works. See, I have set before you an open door, and no one can shut it; for you have a little strength, have kept My word, and have not denied My name. 9 Indeed I will make those of the synagogue of Satan, who say they are Jews and are not, but lie--indeed I will make them come and worship before your feet, and to know that I have loved you. 10 Because you have kept My command to persevere, I also will keep you from the hour of trial which shall come upon the whole world, to test those who dwell on the earth. 11 Behold, I am coming quickly! Hold fast what you have, that no one may take your crown. 12 He who overcomes, I will make him a pillar in the temple of My God, and he shall go out no more. And I will write on him the name of My God and the name of the city of My God, the New Jerusalem, which comes down out of heaven from My God. And I will write on him My new name. 13 He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches."

Now we come to the Church Jesus can come home to. The Church of ‘brotherly love.’ The Church in Philadelphia.

Of the seven letters Jesus writes to the seven churches, surprisingly, only two of those churches escape His rebuke. One church, (the one we will study next week,) even denies Jesus entry.

The prior church which Jesus only had commendation for was the church in Smyrna, and this was due to the persecution and brutality they were undergoing while remaining firm in their faith in Christ. But that church has passed from the scene, and all its members which remained faithful to the end have had their homecoming and are in heaven.

The question is: Which presently-existing church is the church Jesus will choose to make His church home here on earth? What is Jesus looking for in a church?

We have the answer in the church in Philadelphia. The church of brotherly love, (which is what ‘Philadelphia’ means.)

This is the church where Jesus is in control. He has run of the place. What He opens remains open, and what He closes remains closed. There is a sense of desire for Jesus’ direction and instruction which has such priority that Jesus is sought after even more than He is welcomed. This is the church where Jesus’ presence is the difference between life and death, and people know it and desire it.

As a result of Jesus’ desperately-needed presence, the people have genuine love for one another, and the sacrifices of daily life and living bring glory to Jesus’ name. There is a patience for the things to come which allows all to see this church is eternal.

-Pastor Bill

No comments: