Tuesday, January 4, 2011

For Better or For Worse

Philippians 1:19 For I know that this will turn out for my deliverance through your prayer and the supply of the Spirit of Jesus Christ, 20 according to my earnest expectation and hope that in nothing I shall be ashamed, but with all boldness, as always, so now also Christ will be magnified in my body, whether by life or by death. 21 For to me, to live is Christ, and to die is gain. 22 But if I live on in the flesh, this will mean fruit from my labor; yet what I shall choose I cannot tell. 23 For I am hard pressed between the two, having a desire to depart and be with Christ, which is far better. 24Nevertheless to remain in the flesh is more needful for you. 25 And being confident of this, I know that I shall remain and continue with you all for your progress and joy of faith, 26 that your rejoicing for me may be more abundant in Jesus Christ by my coming to you again. 

Taking the vow of marriage includes to oft-spoken but little followed promise to take our spouse “for better of for worse.” The implication is we will not forsake each other over the circumstances of life.

Many times we find the difficulties posed by life draw us closer to our spouse, and as we go through the seasons of struggle together, we find the bond of marriage grow stronger. This tells us of the wisdom of whoever it was who crafted the standard marriage vows we so often hear. There is something to sticking together through better AND worse.

Unfortunately, in the modern age the wisdom of the past has gone by the wayside, and we see dissolution often being a solution in the midst of a season of “worse.”

Isn’t it fascinating, in light of the fact a personal relationship with Christ is often referred to in the Bible as being depicted by Christian marriage, that Paul invokes this important witness of the ‘better’ actually coming from the ‘worse.’ How unlike current worldly opinion is that?

But Paul says, “My current circumstances,” (he is presently imprisoned at Rome – under house arrest,) “are actually working for the furtherance of the gospel of Jesus Christ.”

Obviously some would look on and say Paul’s imprisonment doesn’t seem very prosperous, and if you are a believer in a prosperity doctrine - Paul’s imprisonment is a major stumbling-block. After all, IF God is ‘for’ Paul, than why would He allow Paul to be placed in jail? Is Paul really God’s friend – as he claims to be? To which Paul says, “Hey, all of this has happened to expand the reach of the gospel, and God is in control of every bit of it – even my suffering – and I praise God for that!” The shortcomings of the understandings of the world often become the basis for seeing and understanding the strength and the wisdom of God.

-  Pastor Bill

No comments: