Thursday, January 20, 2011

The Invitation

Philippians 2:12 Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling; 13 for it is God who works in you both to will and to do for His good pleasure. 14 Do all things without complaining and disputing,15 that you may become blameless and harmless, children of God without fault in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation, among whom you shine as lights in the world, 16 holding fast the word of life, so that I may rejoice in the day of Christ that I have not run in vain or labored in vain. 17 Yes, and if I am being poured out as a drink offering on the sacrifice and service of your faith, I am glad and rejoice with you all. 18 For the same reason you also be glad and rejoice with me.

How would you describe your ‘Christian life?’ Do you have one?

It ‘s natural for people to think along these lines…that a part of their life is their ‘Christian life.’ Makes sense in today’s compartmentalized world. You know…I’ve got my married life, and then I’ve got my work life. I’ve got my life with my friends, and then I’ve got my ‘Christian life.’

We come to church and learn to prioritize, and to re-arrange, and to “work on” making the part of our life that is our ‘Christian life’ more prominent. After all, if other people see that my ‘Christian life’ is important to me, then I have become a “light to the world.”

That it?

In a word, “No,” says the apostle Paul. If by being a “Christian” you simply mean that you have adopted a certain lifestyle of conformance with the ‘Christian’ part of your life than you have missed the whole point. Religion is a lifestyle of conformance, relationship with Jesus IS life.

The truth of Biblical Christianity is conformance, but it only comes by transformation – which only happens by receiving Jesus as your personal Lord and Savior. A transformed life is not “in part, but the whole.”

And so Paul confidently guides us to the next step - which is to take one. (A step, that is.) You can’t watch the Christian life from the pew. The pew is a launch pad not a lounge. God’s desire is to work in you and through you to will and to do His good pleasure.

That can only take place when you leave the stands and come down on the field, and allow God to put you in the game – in the position He desires. The only thing hindering that process, (if it is hindered,) is you.

-  Pastor Bill

No comments: