Tuesday, October 4, 2011

How Can I Be Saved?


Titus 3: 3 For we ourselves were also once foolish, disobedient, deceived, serving various lusts and pleasures, living in malice and envy, hateful and hating one another. 4 But when the kindness and the love of God our Savior toward man appeared, 5 not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to His mercy He saved us, through the washing of regeneration and renewing of the Holy Spirit, 6 whom He poured out on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Savior, 7 that having been justified by His grace we should become heirs according to the hope of eternal life.

“How did I get here?” might be a reasonable question. Or, “How can I get there?”

Our notion of what it means to be ‘saved’ began with Jesus’ late-night discussion with Jewish religious leader and scholar, Nicodemus. (Some refer to their discussion as, ‘Nick at Night.’)

Nicodemus came to visit with Jesus because he had seen and heard of the works Jesus was doing. This was an incredibly humbling action for Nicodemus to take, because, by all rights, and according to religious status and culture, Jesus should have been coming to him. After all, Jesus was the commoner, and Nicodemus was the religious leader.

But, in deference to the works, of which Nicodemus said, “no one can do these works unless God is with him,” Jesus answered and said, “I tell you the truth, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of heaven.”

To which Nicodemus responded, “How can a man be born again?”

This is THE question of salvation. Entry into heaven can be had only by being born again, and by being born again, a person is prevented from – or saved from – going to hell.

Being saved is a ‘from – to’ arrangement. I am saved from hell, and saved to heaven. Therefore, being saved is THE most important thing about my life, or any life.

But, how can a person be born again?

The Bible does a great job of answering all the questions it presents. The question of HOW a person is born again is answered right here in Paul’s letter to Titus.

We read it is NOT BY WORKS, but by MERCY, through the washing of regeneration and renewing of the Holy Spirit.

I am fascinated by the process of regeneration. I was generated once, but now I have been re-generated through the mercy of the God of heaven. I am saved by believing on the Lord Jesus, and asking Him to save me according to His mercy. I am aware of His answer to my request for salvation by the new life He creates in me. I am saved!

Now my justification – (or my ability to gain entry to heaven, and to be saved from hell) - is not provided by my works, but by His grace. This is how a person is born again.

-  Pastor Bill

No comments: