Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Slavery and Freedom


Philemon 8 Therefore, though I might be very bold in Christ to command you what is fitting, 9 yet for love's sake I rather appeal to you--being such a one as Paul, the aged, and now also a prisoner of Jesus Christ-- 10 I appeal to you for my son Onesimus, whom I have begotten while in my chains, 11 who once was unprofitable to you, but now is profitable to you and to me. 12 I am sending him back. You therefore receive him, that is, my own heart, 13 whom I wished to keep with me, that on your behalf he might minister to me in my chains for the gospel. 14 But without your consent I wanted to do nothing, that your good deed might not be by compulsion, as it were, but voluntary. 15 For perhaps he departed for a while for this purpose, that you might receive him forever, 16 no longer as a slave but more than a slave--a beloved brother, especially to me but how much more to you, both in the flesh and in the Lord. 17 If then you count me as a partner, receive him as you would me. 18 But if he has wronged you or owes anything, put that on my account. 19 I, Paul, am writing with my own hand. I will repay--not to mention to you that you owe me even your own self besides. 20 Yes, brother, let me have joy from you in the Lord; refresh my heart in the Lord. 21 Having confidence in your obedience, I write to you, knowing that you will do even more than I say.

How would you go about advising someone to give up something very valuable in this world for the sake of Jesus Christ?

In Philemon’s case, he “possessed” another human being, by some sort of contract. (He was a slave-owner.)

In Onesimus’ case, he “possessed” freedom. His own.

Which of those is more valuable is beyond debate, but it does not lessen the point – especially for Philemon.

In order to gain his freedom, Onesimus had to “steal” it. He was a runaway slave. He was a fugitive of justice. I guess the question is: Was Onesimus really free?

Somewhere along the way, Onesimus, in his runaway state, ran into the apostle Paul. Paul evidently led Onesimus to Christ, and then an amazing transformation began to take place.

You have to wonder how long it may have taken Onesimus to confess to Paul he was actually a runaway slave. You can imagine some time had passed, as Onesimus had become a trusted ministry associate of Paul, and enough time had passed that he had become beloved and valuable to Paul – so much so Paul regretted having to part company with Onesimus.

Paul was sending Onesimus back to his owner, Philemon. He could not be certain how Philemon may respond. Would he have Onesimus jailed? (That would have been his right under the law.) If Onesimus had also stolen from Philemon before running away, Philemon could have possibly had Onesimus put to death. How Philemon would respond was uncertain.

Even without making any judgments about slavery, this is still a remarkable story of difficult moral choices Christians – and not the world – are faced with. Both Onesimus and Philemon are being forced to give up something very valuable to receive something much greater…

It always amazes me the changes Christ brings about in others, let alone myself. Onesimus became so concerned over his relationship with Christ he was willing to face loss of freedom and punishment to maintain it. How would Philemon respond to his former slave – but now brother in Christ?

Pastor Bill

No comments: